Thursday, January 16, 2014

A different approach for Kiwi Brevet 2014

For the previous two Kiwi Brevets I have gone with the comfort of a 26er fully. This time I am going with a 29er fully-rigid.  Roll-a-bility versus comfort is the plan. I'm also planning to carry all water on the bike rather than have 3 litres of it on my back, to cut back on "butt trauma". I am foregoing aero bars and bar ends for Woodchipper drop bars which also give a lot of different hand  positions. The KM might be a tad lighter if I manage to tubeless the tires.

2014 set-up. Surly Karate Monkey 29er. 


2010 and 2012 set-up. 26 inch Santa Cruz Superlight.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Nice one. How many bottle cages will you have on the bike?

El jefe said...

5 bottles I think !!
Just to be sure. One is bound to fall off : )

John Carman said...

So may i ask, did you lighten the freeload rack? Guessing the plastic base? I looked at it and thought could ne lightened.